Monday, June 18, 2018

Review: The Trials of Apollo Book 3

The Trials of Apollo: The Burning Maze
By Rick Riordan

Image result for trials of apollo the burning maze

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 448
Rating: 5 out of 5

Summary (from the inside flap): It's bad enough that my father, Zeus, turned me, the once divine Apollo, into a mortal tennager with acne, flab, and the unfortunate alias Lester Papadopoulos. On top of that, he has enslaved me to a pushy twelve-year-old named Meg, and he expects me to liberate five ancient Oracles from a trio or evil Roman emperors. (How, I ask you, when I have no godly powers?)

So far, I've managed to restore two Oracles and receive a prophesy about "mazes dark," "lands of scorching death," and a "master of the swift white horse." Now Meg and I must journey through the Labyrinth, parts of which are venting hellfire, to find the third emperor. Bit is our cloven guide, Grover Underwood, up to the tas? Are any of us? I have my suspicions about who the third emperor is... a villainous tyrant I never wanted to run into again.

Also - and I haven't told my travel companions this - I fear I'm growing weaker by the day. The longer I stay mortal, the less confident I am that I will ever be able to regain my place on Mount Olympus. It's time to call on Piper McLean and her boyfriend, Jason Grace, two of the seven demigods who sailed on the Argo II, to see if they will defeat the emperor and free the Oracle for me.

Wait. Scratch that. I mean, of course, that they will help me do those things.... Yes, that's what I meant, Father. Really.

Review: I have waited for a long time for this book to come out because I enjoyed the first two books in the series. My parents got this for me for my birthday and I finished it the next day. It was that good. Both characters from this series and from Rick Riordan's The Heroes of Olympus series (you should check it out) combine to try to stop an evil emperor and save an Oracle. The book is fast paced with many twists and turns which I found enjoyable.

Once I finished reading this book, I just stared at the back cover for a while hoping that more pages would magically appear because I wanted more. This is one of those books that you can't decide whether to hug it or throw against the wall because all of the emotions that are attatched to it.

I recommend this book but in order to understand the plot you have to have read the first two books in the series.

1 comment:

  1. Rick Riordan is so prolific and good. He was always super popular with students when I was a librarian.

    ReplyDelete